Final Reflection

This year has been a wild one. From PSA's to short film's to starting a feature film this year has been anything but normal. Walking into this new classes with all new people was a crazy experience, there was so many people I had never met before. For example, all of the juniors, Mrs. Smith, and even some of the seniors. Even though I started the year not knowing any of them I had been able to go to class everyday and see the amount of talent the video strand of e-Communication has been able to develop. This past semester we have done so much learning that I couldn't even imagine, it reminded me why I applied for e-Comm in the first place. From video editing to working with camera to seeing how important color is in film to being a UPM for a short film to seeing how the entertainment world is moving forward through the use of MX4D to getting the role of UPM in our feature film i'm learning new things everyday. It's really something to see the amount of talent that is shown through the use of video. I remember when I was really young and making videos was a passion of mine. I had a youtube channel, a bad camera, and some editing software that was so bad i don't think it even exists anymore. Even when i stopped making my own videos i remember how routine is became for me to lay down in my bed and watch my favorite youtubers new videos. I remember my freshman year when I was ecstatic about movies and how that was all me and my friend would do when we hung out together. I remember when Netflix took over i would watch episode after episode of television shows. These are just a few of the things that prepared me for where I am now, a lover of film. Whether is is big or small any film is worth watching and that makes them worth making. For a while I would come to eComm and dread being there and I think it was because i wasn't in the best place but when I sat in cineotopia and watched "One Too Many" I remembered how cool it was to be a part of something that big, I sat there and thought to myself, "Wow i love eComm", and I remembered all the things that pushed me to where I was in that moment. Every video I watched, every little stupid youtube video I made put me in that seat and put in where I am today, the eCommunication strand. I sat there and though to myself, "I'm gonna be better next year and i'm gonna apply myself more.", and now you are wondering how does this apply to my senior year reflection for eComm when i've only talked about the years leading up to it? but that's the thing this year has really made me think about what i've been doing with my life and how i found safety in the joy of entertainment and when things got hard I could've watched a movie or some youtube videos but instead I let things be hard and i'd get angry and I would mad at eComm and there was so many times that I thought to myself, "I'm going to quit eComm" but I never did because even though I had this love hate relationship with it, it was a home for me. There are very few places that can make you feel the way you do when you step into the eComm room after a hard day and you get to be there with all your friends who are extremely passionate about what they are doing and it's a relief. To think back to my freshman year when we used the small little hand sized camera with a microphone on top to the high quality camera we use now it's crazy to see how far we've come. I think for a while I would get mad at eComm because everyone is so talented and that means everyone knows what they are doing and it's kinda scary because it makes it feel as if you're behind everyone else, but that the thing, eComm is an open place for everyone no matter where they are because it is a place where we come to learn and grow. One thing i regret from my past years of eComm was that I didn't apply myself enough, I could've started a youtube channel like i've always wanted to do, I could've gone to more film shoots, or made side projects. This past summer I made a video about what I did this summer and I just remember I made that and I sat down and I watched it and thought about how cool it was that I had made that. The things i've learned in eComm will last with me forever and ever. Even though some of the things I made freshman year and sophomore year suck, thats okay because it allows me to see just how far i've come since then.

This past year i've sat myself down and looked into the eCommunication core values and I thought to myself how can I improve on these. With communication I learned how to be a more open person and value other peoples feedback. In this class feedback is very important to see where you are and what others think you could improve upon. No one is ever saying something to hurt you or make you feel smaller than you are, everyone just wants to continue to learn and to grow together. With leadership I learned that it's okay to not know what you are doing and that it is okay to be a follower, with leadership it never says you have to be the leader. This is something i've struggled with for a long time because I wasn't a natural born leader and leadership qualities are hard to learn if someone already has them. I've become a better leader by being an upperclassman, For example i'm trying to apply myself more by doing things such as applying for important roles (UPM). Sitting here thinking about the fact that I got that role is huge to me, if you asked me last year if i would be where I am now I probably would've laughed. The amount of growth i've had since last year is extreme. What i learned with project management is that it is important to make sure you are working hard to stay to a schedule and to make sure you are allowing yourself enough time to do everything you want to. What i learned with technical skills is that it is okay if you don't really like/know how to use the camera because in this class it is a team setting and there will be someone who exceeds in that strand.

The other project i worked on i touched on briefly but it was the video i made about my summer and everything i did for a friend who was away this summer. I would share it here but i don't really want to because it is really personal to me but i learned a lot about my abilities. For example i've always love editing but normally i just let other people do it because they are better at it but i really enjoy the time i took to do this for myself.

Here is the video me and my group made for our PSA. I kinda took lead in the production of this and collaborated with my peers to come up with an idea about peer pressure. We thought to ourselves that it would be cool if we could make it as though the camera is the person who is getting peer pressured by their friends. We took the basic things that happen when you get peer pressured and made them into a conversation. I really liked this project and i liked the outcome even though it is really short it has a good point and it comes across. I learned that you can say a lot even when you aren't saying a lot. Next time i would like to work on editing and camera so i can get more experience in those areas.
This project was a shorter one we filmed it basically in two class periods. We probably had one or two days for planning. We didn't really face many challenges because my group worked really well together.

Here is my groups short film "Musical Connection". I really enjoyed this project because it aloud me to get my feet wet with the role of UPM and i had more control over what happened. The script was really well written and it aloud us to make such a great short film. With the leadership of Brady we created something really meaningful. The music written by Thomas was so beautiful it almost made me cry. I really liked this group because everyone was willing to be dedicated to the project. Next time i think we will allow more time for filming and we would've liked to cast actors who won't flake on us. The project was basically to create a short film with a beginning middle and end. There wasn't extremely strict guidelines but i really like where ours ended up. It overall took probably a month but it really happened in about 2 weeks. Most feedback we received was really positive. Overall i maybe would edit one or two shots but other then that it turned out really well.

For my time in class for a large amount of time i would use it to work on menu items. I learned stuff about the importance of makeup and costumes and color in film and how impactful a film can be when it is done right. I also stepped aside and learned some new subjects i normally wouldn't think about. I learned about music importance and how impactful that is. I watched videos about fouley artists. I used my class time to allow myself to go back and look over the work i've done and possibly make revisions. Outside of class i watch a lot of films and movies to further my bank of stuff i've watched. You can always learn something from what other people are doing, it's called observational learning, that's why I think it is important to take the time to try to learn from others.

My areas of strength for eCommunication are communication and project management. I maximize these strengths by making sure to apply my input to the class work we do together and i make sure that project are where they need to be and that they are getting done on time. Some areas that need improvement are my technical skills because i never fully got a lesson on how things work and that is how i learn best. I like to be able to visualize something and see how it works and then try it myself. I can improve on this area by observing the kids in my class that know what they are doing.

From our guest speakers i learned a lot about how you don't have to know where you want to go but if you go and put yourself out there you will find your way and to never let your passion be silenced. You can literally start from nothing and make something out of yourself. I also learned a lot about how if you take time on something good things will come out of it and you can do what you're passionate about. I really enjoyed Josh Smiths presentation i really enjoyed the media that came into it. It was really cool to see about that.

From the MX4D i learned that senses are starting to come more into the entertainment strand and that the industry is moving forward. I can apply this to my work by being more observant about what i'm making and how it can advance our quality of work. I personally wasn't a big fan of it but it is where the industry is going and it will benefit the industry by getting more people into the theatres.

Overall i've really enjoyed learning about myself and where i stand. I love how passionate our class is about what they do and it truly motivates me to be the best version of myself i can be. A goal i would like to strive for is to continue to work hard and push myself more than i ever have. Overall it has been a good senior year so far and i would like to finish it out on a good note. If i could change anything i would just like to allow more work time on projects like Mrs. Morris use to do. Overall i will take the things i learned in this class and use them for when i apply for jobs where it is in the entertainment industry or not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hobbies Project

Animation; A man, A corn-dog, And A loss.

6 shot sequence